Nearly everyone would like to achieve a brighter smile. If that is true of you, you may be tempted to try out some of the DIY whitening trends that are popular on social media and other platforms. Before you do so, however, you should carefully think about what you might be doing to your smile. DIY whitening in Auburn is likely to do more harm than good. This blog post discusses some of its dangers and why it is better to seek professional assistance when you want to brighten your teeth.
Popular Whitening Trends
Here are a few popular DIY whitening trends and reasons why you should avoid them:
- Oil pulling (swishing with an edible oil, such as coconut oil). Oil pulling is unlikely to harm you or your teeth, and it might have mild benefits for oral health. However, it will probably not whiten your teeth very much.
- Applying lemon juice to the teeth. Lemon juice is highly acidic. It may whiten your teeth, but it is also likely to erode and seriously weaken your enamel.
- Activated charcoal toothpastes. Activated charcoal is quite abrasive. Although it may whiten teeth in the short-term, in the long-term it could damage the enamel to the point where your dentin (the yellowish second layer of teeth) is easy to see.
- Peroxide and baking soda toothpastes. DIY toothpastes with baking soda and peroxide usually contain too much of these items, which can harm teeth and war away the tooth enamel. However, toothpastes with the ADA Seal of Acceptance that contain these ingredients should be safe to use.
What About Over the Counter Whitening Products?
Caution is important if you are thinking about using an OTC whitening product, such as gels, strips, or kits. If an item has the ADA Seal of Acceptance, it should be safe to use as long as you follow all provided directions. Products without the ADA Seal of Acceptance are more of a gamble. They could damage your teeth, cause uneven whitening results, or simply not work. It is best to avoid them altogether.
Professional Whitening Services Are Best
Professional whitening services are the best way to brighten your smile for a few reasons:
- Your dentist will thoroughly screen you to make sure it is safe for you to whiten your teeth.
- The bleaching formulas are more powerful than what you can get in over-the-counter products, leading to more dramatic results.
- It is extremely unlikely that a professional whitening service will harm your enamel, irritate your gum tissue, or cause other adverse effects.
DIY whitening hacks may be intriguing, but you should not risk your smile’s health. Ask your dentist for guidance as you seek to achieve brighter teeth.
Meet the Practice
The team at Willow Run Dental Association is proud to offer a range of cosmetic services, including both in-office and take-home professional teeth whitening. If you have questions about how you can brighten your smile, we are ready and eager to speak with you. Contact us at 207-352-2825.